The elongated adjustment screw allow the headlight covers to finally be adjusted to match the grill position (on either side of the headlight cover).
Before attempting to install the elongated bolt/bumper it would be wise to do the following:
- Spray all threads of the original adjustment bolts with a penetrating oil.
- Once the old headlamp (closed position) adjustment bolt is removed, chase the threaded hole from above with a 5/16" x 18 tap to clean it up the original nut threads.
- Install the elongated bolt into the top of the threaded hole (backwards) and use a 1/2" socket to run it down about half way to make sure the nut hole threads will not bind.
- Back-out the elongated adjustment bolt (from the top), install the rubber bumper and proceed to install the elongated adjustment bolt/bumper combination from the underside of the rear of the headlamp cover
- With the vacuum switch "open" to allow manual positioning of the headlamp cover, tilt the headlamp cover ~ 1/2 way open (or more, if you can get you hand behind the cover) and reach behind the headlamp cover with the 7/32" hex of the elongated adjustment bolt pointing up and carefully slip the 7/32" hex into the threaded nut hole. This step may take a few tries and some patience.
- Try to rotate the elongated bolt counter clock-wise by hand to start the elongated bolt into the threads
- Once the threads start, place the 7/32" socket over the 7/32" hex (protruding through the nut threaded hole) and rotate counter clock-wise to bring the elongated bolt up into position. If there is any binding, you may be cross threading the adjustment bolt, so proceed carefully, possibly backing the adjustment bolt back down (clock-wise) until there is no binding and start threading the elongated adjustment bolt into the nut again.
- Once the elongated adjusting bolt can turn freely, adjust the headlamp cover to match the surrounding grill position.
I did this and then installed the headlamp cover "spacer kit" to try to get the covers "straight" and non binding on the surrounding grill sections. I am at week 1 into a 3-4 week process, so we will see if this works